Friday, April 12, 2013

This is cool, but I could never do it....

That is what a lot of people seem to say about molecular gastronomy. As my project slowly winds to a close, I will focus more closely on how molecular gastronomy applies to the home cook, particularly the three main points of my thesis: financial feasibility, understanding of scientific concepts, and difficulty of culinary technique.

Let's begin with financial feasibility. One of the most commonly perceived barriers to using molecular gastronomy at home is the price tag that comes with some of the equipment. I admit, the home centrifuge, pacojet, and rotostator homogenizer are a bit of a stretch at thousands of dollars each, the basics are not beyond the average kitchen.

As cited in my last post, a small home sous vide machine with a vacuum sealer is priced between $400-$500, which while not inexpensive, is comparable to some standing mixers and blenders on the market today. I find far more use for a sous vide machine compared to a standing mixer, but most home chefs don't understand how to use them or why they're worth the cost, which relates to the understanding of scientific concepts.

In one of my first posts, I discussed many of the unique different ingredients used by gastronomists and where to obtain them. For those who haven't read it, I encourage you to scroll back and read it. Many of the ingredients, whether it be soy lecithin or sodium alginate, often cost as little as $10 for 50 grams, which may not seem like a lot, but when a recipe calls for only 2 grams, a little goes a long way. "Fancy chemical names" do not imply prohibitive costs.

I'm not saying that molecular gastronomy is going to save you any money; however, I will argue that you can improve your home cuisine without a steep price increase compared to a traditional kitchen as many would expect.

I had my first Molecular Gastronomy Dinner on Wednesday and it was a fantastic success! Thank you all who attended! I will post more on both of my dinners after the second one occurs this upcoming Thursday.

No comments:

Post a Comment